Sunday, November 18, 2012

Misery, by Stephen King

This book was fantastic, and even that isn't good enough to explain how amazing this book is! Misery, by Stephen King does an excellent job telling the story of a psycho woman named Annie Wilkes who obsesses over Paul Sheldon, a famous author that writes books about historical romances. His most popular book is about a girl named Misery. When he is on vacation, he passes out and is crippled. He wakes up in Annie Wilke's house. He is at first very grateful for her, but he soon begins to realize that he is dealing with a maniac . He is put in a wheelchair so that he can't escape. Annie does not want him to regain his health and leave her. She is devastated with the fact that Misery dies in the end, and she wants him to re-write the book. Sounds crazy, right? It gets even better than that, but I don't want to spoil anymore. Stephen King is very successful at establishing characters with completely different personalities. The book was very enjoyable for me, and I know some people that didn't enjoy it any less than I did. As the book goes on, you begin to notice how crazy Annie actually is. I promised that I wouldn't spoil anymore, though, so you will have to see for yourself. It's definitely worth the read, and Stephen King has many other books that are equally as good as Misery. Annie is one of the most interesting characters that I have ever seen in a book. I didn't know that someone could be so crazy to take an author hostage just to change the ending of a book! This just shows that everyone has their reasons and their motives, regardless of how crazy or how unreasonable they are. With that said, Misery is an outstanding book with an amazing story, I highly recommend it to everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment